Welcome to Canvas E-Training
Welcome to Canvas E-Training
PURPOSE - This course has been developed to introduce faculty and staff to the institutional learning management system, CANVAS. Upon completion of this course, faculty and staff should be able to navigate the system and utilize it's major tools and features and be sufficiently prepared for either an INSTRUCTOR (faculty) or Teaching Assistant/TA (staff) role in Canvas. Both roles have the same permissions that enables the user to design, build and teach in Canvas.
Canvas Browser Check - We suggest you use Google Chrome or Firefox but browsers change requirements often- hence click on Canvas Browser Check.
OVERVIEW - This course contains 10 required modules related to the course objectives. Each includes videos, (plus scripts to the videos to comply with ADA requirements), checklists, and perhaps a small self-test or activity. It should take about 1-2 hrs. to review all 10 modules. The course also contains optional modules on expanded Canvas tools (Discussions, Attendance, Audio or Video Conference Tool, or the Desktop Video tool, Course Close Out).
There is no time limit to complete the course but you cannot be enrolled as an Instructor/Teacher or Teaching Assistant (TA) till you have passed the Canvas Proficiency Quiz in the Knowledge Center. This course will provide the knowledge to successfully pass the quiz.
After completing the course:
1. Go to the Knowledge Center and complete the Canvas Proficiency Quiz. This documents that you have complied with the requirements.
2. Notify your Departmental PeopleSoft administrator that you are ready to be enrolled in any Canvas course as an Instructor or Teaching Assistant.
Detailed Instructions to access Knowledge Center for INSTRUCTOR or TEACHING ASSISTANT (TA) Canvas Proficiency Quiz - If a you are a faculty or staff member requesting an INSTRUCTOR or TA role in any CANVAS course, you must review this course and then successfully pass a 20 question proficiency quiz offered on the UT Health Science Center's employee training site called Knowledge Center. To access the quiz:
- Go to Knowledge Center at http://kc.uthscsa.edu (links to an external site).
- Enter your domain credentials (user name and password you use to access your email).
- Go to top menu, click Course Catalog
- Click on the + sign to the left of Academics.
- Locate the course entitled: CANVAS Proficiency Quiz.
- Click LAUNCH
- Take the 20 question Canvas Proficiency Quiz. If you don't pass the Quiz, please retake it till you pass it.
ENROLLMENT of INSTRUCTOR/TA ROLES in Canvas – Within 24 hours of completing the Canvas Proficiency Quiz, the Knowledge Center system will notify the PeopleSoft Campus Solutions System that you have completed the quiz and have permission for an Instructor or a TA role.
You must request that your departmental PeopleSoft administrator go into the PeopleSoft system and enroll you as an INSTRUCTOR or a TA in your CANVAS course(s). See User Enrollments & Updates for further information.
RECOMMENDED STRATEGY TO TAKE THIS COURSE -
- Review the course objectives.
- From the left navigation menu click and review the MODULES in sequence.
- After each MODULE video, take the quiz to reinforce what you have learned. Note there is a script available for each video.
- Leave CANVAS, access KC at http://kc.uthscsa.edu , click Course Catalog, click the + sign to the left of Academics, and locate and launch the CANVAS Proficiency Quiz.
ACCESS to your Canvas COURSES - Current courses will appear as tiles in the dashboard. To access all courses, go to the left dark grey navigation bar, click on Courses. At the bottom of the list of current courses 'All Courses' will open a list of past, current and future courses.
Access to Blackboard Course materials.
Prior to 2015 our institutional learning management system was Blackboard. Some instructors wish to have access to materials that were posted in Bb.
1. If you taught a course in Bb in 2014/15 it has been migrated to CANVAS; it starts with either BB or BB-zz.
2. All other Bb courses from 2012-2015 have been copied from Bb and are listed as BB-ARCH. These courses are Read Only. Some faculty may be using a course that starts with Z-DEV. If you do NOT locate a course please contact Anna Dorrycott; email@example.com
TECHNICAL QUESTIONS -
Enrollment questions in official courses - contact your Departmental PeopleSoft Administrator or call 567-7777, Option 4.
For CANVAS HELP, go to the left dark grey menu, select the last item, the Help ?- it is located on each page in CANVAS
- CANVAS GUIDES -These guides are quite helpful.
- CALL the Canvas Support Hotline:
The line is answered 24/7/365 by a member of the Canvas support staff.
- CHAT with a Canvas support staff member - you will have a transcript of your conversation.
ASSISTANCE with Course Design from the Education Development Specialists (EDS):
- Medical School - Melissa A Villanueva firstname.lastname@example.org
- Dental, Dental Hygiene and Advanced Dental - Jason Sandlin Sandlin@uthscsa.edu
- Nursing - Dr. Sailaja Athyala, email@example.com
- School of Health Professions, GSBS - Mary Jacks , firstname.lastname@example.org
- Announcements Overview (Instructors)
- Assignments Overview (Instructors)
- Calendar Overview (Instructors)
- Canvas Teacher App
- Canvas Overview (Instructors)
- Chat Overview (Instructors)
- Collaborations Overview (Instructors)
- Commons Overview (Instructors)
- Commons: Find and Import Resources (Instructors)
- Commons: Sharing Resources (Instructors)
- Conferences Overview (Instructors)
- Courses: Creation & Management (Instructors)
- Course and Student Analytics Overview (Instructors)
- Course Home Page Customization (Instructors)
- Course Settings (Instructors)
- Discussions Overview (Instructors)
- Files Overview (Instructors)
- New Gradebook Overview (Instructors)
- Groups Overview (Instructors)
- Modules Overview (Instructors)
- Outcomes Overview (Instructors)
- Pages Overview (Instructors)
- People Overview (Instructors)
- Quizzes Overview (Instructors)
- New Quizzes Overview (Instructors)
- Rubrics Overview (Instructors)
- SpeedGrader Overview (Instructors)
The syllabus page shows a table-oriented view of the course schedule, and the basics of course grading. You can add any other comments, notes, or thoughts you have about the course structure, course policies or anything else.
To add some comments, click the "Edit" link at the top.